When I was a kid I remember how hectic weeknights could be for my parents. Taking my sister and I to all sorts of activities, helping with homework, but most importantly trying to get dinner on the table that didn't involve a fast food drive through! The idea behind #SundaySupper is to help bring families Around the Family Table (no matter how busy they are) which is why this weeks #SundaySupper event is so important!
Today I'm sharing with you a twist on one of my favorites from my childhood, Wagon Wheel Pasta with Pancetta & Peas.
This pasta takes just minutes to prepare and is perfect for when you want a delicious meal that's ready in a flash. Have trouble getting your kids to the table? Trust me...once they smell the fragrant aroma of sauteed shallots and pancetta coming from your kitchen, you won't have to call them twice! The wagon wheel-shaped pasta in this recipe is so cute for kids and will leave them wanting seconds! This dish is also perfect to bring as leftovers for lunch.
1 pound wagon wheel-shaped pasta (or any other fun shape for kids)
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
8 ounces pancetta, finely diced (you can purchase the pancetta at most supermarkets already diced)
2 large or 4 small shallots, chopped
2 cups frozen petite peas, thawed
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and reserve about 1 cup of the pasta water.
In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and cook, stirring frequently, until golden and crispy, about 6 to 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the pancetta and drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
Add the shallots to the pan and cook until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the pasta, cooked pancetta, petite peas, Parmesan cheese, the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Toss until coated, adding the reserved pasta water, 1 tablespoon at a time, as needed to lossen the sauce. Transfer to bowls and serve.
Recipe Adapted from the Weeknights with Giada cookbook.
My Mother-in-Law recently bought me this cookbook and I absolutely love it! When it first came in the mail I spent hours reading through every recipe and fell in love with all of the quick and easy weeknight meals!
This week we have an amazing line up of recipes so be sure to check out my other #SundaySupper friends!
- Greek Dogs by Supper For a Steal
- Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad by Magnolia Days
- Double Duty Fajita Chicken: Nachos Supreme and Enchiladas by Doggie at the Dinner Table
- Zucchini, Corn and Bacon Crepes by Vintage Kitchen
- Oregon Shrimp Quesadillas by Pescetarian Journal
- Korean omelet rice by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Lemon Dillled Salmon Croquette Burgers by Granny’s Down Home Southern Cooking
- Gluten Free Pepper Steak with Rice by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Crispy Ravioli in Cherry Tomato Sauce by Shockingly Delicious
- BLT Soup by Meal Planning Magic
- Korean Pan-Fried Fish by Kimchi Mom
- Stove top mac ‘n cheese by Gotta Get Baked
- Deconstructed Enchiladas by In the Kitchen with KP
- Croque Monsieurs by Juanita’s Cocina
- Summer Squash and Mushroom Quesadillas by Chocolate Moosey
- Seared Lamb on a bed of Mashed potatoes with Artichoke Hearts by Cooking Underwriter
- Pasta with Creamy Kale Pesto by Webicurean
- Baked Spanish Tortilla by Happy Baking Days
- Grilled Chicken Caesar Pizza by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Chicken Pasta with Spinach and Beans by The Lemon Bowl
- Tomato Pie by My Catholic Kitchen
- Shredded Chicken in Peanut Sauce Tacos w/ Corn & Zucchini Sauté by GirliChef
- Tomatillo Chicken Stew by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Pollo a la Crema by La Cocina de Leslie
- Baked Tilapia Fish Tacos by Home Cooking Memories
- Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken with a Yogurt Dill sauce and a Greek Salad by Noshing with the Nolands
- Wagon Wheel Pasta with Pancetta & Peas by Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Lemon & Dill Shrimp Pasta w/ Oven Roast Corn by Mama, Mommy, Mom
- Ricotta – Tofu Tomato Toasts by Yummy Smells
- One Pot Spicy Asian Chicken and Rice by Hezzi D
- Turkey Italian Brown Rice Casserole by Momma’s Meals
- Flatbread Pizza with Cilantro Garlic Sauce by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Cashew Chicken Stir-fry by Diabetic Foodie
- Chicken Bacon Avocado Quesadillas by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Roasted Butternut Lo Mein by The Meltaways
- Potluck Casserole with Cornbread Stuffing by Cindy’s Recipes & Writings
- Jerk Chicken Chili by Mrs. Mama Hen
- Loaded Chicken and Steak Stuffed Potatoes by Big Bears Wife
- Steamed Tofu Serve with Fried Mix Vegetables by My Trials in the Kitchen
- Pasta with sausage and cherry tomatoes by Tora’s Real Food
- Chicken Ravioli with Peas and Bacon by Daddy Knows Less
- Quick N Easy Thai Coconut Shrimp Stir Fry by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Whole Wheat Pizza with Hummus & Fresh Greens by Family Spice
- Speedy ‘n Spicy Shrimp Pasta. Will be dinner this Friday by The Weekend Gourmet
- End of Summer Grilled Peach and Chicken Salad by Sustainable Dad
- Teriyaki Tuna Bowl by Family Foodie
- Weeknight Stir Fry by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Baked Egg with Mushrooms and Bacon by Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Taco Bake by Daily Dish Recipes
- Fried Rice and Black Beans by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Chicken with Broccoli, Sun-dried Tomatoes and Bow Ties by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pasta in Tomato sauce and turkey meatballs by Basic & Delicious
- Pasta Primavera by Midlife Road Trip
- Tots Your Tots Will Love by The Hand that Rocks the Ladle